Secret Ingredient Chocolate Pudding
* This recipe by Angela Liddon is from one of my favourite cookbooks Oh She Glows Everyday*
Allergen Free of: Dairy, Peanut, Sesame, Egg, Mustard, Shellfish, Fish, Soy, & Gluten Free
* you could also try with soy or rice milk or sunflower seed butter if you are avoiding nuts
1 1/4 cup of diced peeled sweet potato or yam
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp raw or roasted smooth almond or cashew butter
1 tbsp coconut oil, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and set a steamer basket on top. Steam the sweet potato in the basket, covered for 10-15 minutes, until fork-tender. (If you do not have a steamer basket - you can cook in approximately 1 inch of water on the stovetop until fork-tender or you can use a steamer appliance.) Turn off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Transfer the sweet potato to a food processor and add the maple syrup. Process until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the bowl as necessary. Taste and adjust the sweetness as desired. Sometimes this pudding tastes a bit sweeter after chilling.
3. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least a few hours or up to overnight to thicken. If the pudding is too thick you can thin it out with a splash of almond milk.